Tier 4 - Personhood Never
Although Rubio publicly states he will support legislation that would enforce the Personhood of the unborn, he also supports legislation that allows for the murder of some of those children - the so-called "hard cases."
- Supports the abortifacient known as the "morning-after" pill. In an interview with an email newsletter called, "theSkimm" on September 30, 2015, Rubio said he supports the morning-after pill. This pill is designed to block fertilization. However, in cases where fertilization does occur, the morning-after pill stops the egg from implanting in the woman’s uterus, resulting in the pill acting as an abortifacient. Because Rubio states he is in favor of protecting life from the moment of conception, it appears he is unaware of the details of exactly when conception occurs. Good intentions or not, this ignorance of fetology could continue the snuffing out of human life on a massive scale if he becomes President. 1
- In 2013, he was an original co-sponsor of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (S.1670) which allows for even late-term children to be killed if the unborn child’s father is a criminal (ie. a rapist). 2
- On his official website, he actually brags about introducing legislation in 2015 that allows someone to take a minor across state lines to kill her baby as long as the minor’s parents have given consent. 3
- In 2000, he supported the Florida version of the Partial Birth Abortion law which is a textbook on how to kill a child without committing the crime of Partial Birth Abortion. 4
- Supported legislation that permitted abortions if a doctor first performed an ultrasound. Source: 2010 Senate campaign website, www.marcorubio.com, "Issues" , Feb 3, 2010
- Contrary to his actions in the above 5 bullet-points, Rubio says he believes in the Personhood of the unborn. In an interview with Sean Hannity on May 14, 2014, he said, "The science is settled, it’s not even a consensus, it is a unanimity, that human life begins at conception." He has even followed through on that statement by fighting against embryonic stem-cell research. 5
- Although the above bullet-point indicates Rubio would support a law establishing the Personhood of the unborn, he will also support laws that deny the Personhood of the unborn. "I’m in favor of a 20-week abortion ban. Does that mean I’m in favor of abortions at 19 weeks? No. Any bill that reduces the number of abortions, is a bill that I’m going to support...I've never said that I will only support a bill that has an exception in it, but I will support bills that have exceptions in it because they prevent abortions. I'm here to save as many of those unborn children's lives as possible." 6
On the August 7, 2015 broadcast of CNN’s New Day Rubio stated, "The idea that a human life is worthy of the protection of our laws, is not something that over time, anybody should evolve on." In spite of that assertion, Rubio himself will have to "evolve over time" on abortion, moving from tier 4 to tier 1, if he ever wants the endorsement of American Right to Life.
- 1LifeSiteNews: Marco Rubio Supports Selling the morning after pill over-the-counter
- 2Congress.gov: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
- 3Rubio.Senate.gov: The Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
- 4laws.flrules.org: Laws of Florida, 2015
- 5OnTheIssues.org: Christian Coalition Survey
- 6Breitbart.com: Rubio: No One Should Evolve On Life Being Worthy of Protection